Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Help Indonesia Now! - Urgent Help Needed

The South-East Asia Earthquake and Tsunami

Aceh in Indonesia, the stretch closest to the quake's epicenter, is possibly the worst affected amongst all and is now reporting over 35,000 dead and thousands more missing.

All the more ironic that the land most devastated, is now the least approachable.

The province of Aceh has been largely inaccessible to the world over the past few years due to a raging civil war and stringent government restrictions on foreigners including aid workers and journalists. However, as the unimaginable scale of the disaster is becoming clear, the mass of red tape is being loosened and humanitarian agencies are being allowed to move in. Making aid doubly difficult is the hostile terrain, which still has massive stretches of coastline buried in mud and water, thus cutting off roads, radio and all kinds of communication.

All aid is thus only through government bodies, relief agencies, NGOs and other corporates. I realize there is little knowledge of who is to be contacted and how donations can be made, so I have listed here some details obtained from local ministries and news agencies.

Readers, please pass this information to friends and family in Indonesia or to other Indonesians living abroad, so aid can reach the victims faster.

1) Government of Indonesia
Bank Account in BI - Bank Indonesia
Account Numbers for various currencies are as follows :

510.000.272 (Indonesian Rupiah)
602.074.411 (United States Dollars)
602.075.111( Japanese Yen)
602.075.991 (Euro)

2) Indonesian Red Cross Society
Bank Account in Lippo Slipi Branch
In the name of : Indonesian Red Cross Society / Palang Merah
Account Number :746-30-05218-4

3)Coordinator of Peoples Welfare; Republic of Indonesia
Bank account in BNI Harmoni
In the name of I Nyoman Meweh, Head of Welfare Bureau
Account Number: 07 000 311 2717 911

4) Indosiar
Bank account in BCA
In the name of: Indosiar
Account Number: 001 - 304 - 0009

5) RCTI
Bank account in BCA
In the name of: RCTI
Account Number: 128 - 300 -7000

As with all affected areas, what is urgently needed to aid the living is food, formula milk for babies, fresh water, medicines, clothes, blankets, mosquito repellant and generator sets. Ironically, the dead are demanding too. As soldiers and volunteers collect thousands of rotting corpses for mass burials, they face a desperate shortage of body bags and cemetery tools.

Anyone who would like to provide assistance in kind, please contact any of the following volunteers at the given numbers and your donations will be packed and flown across to Aceh.

Anupama : 62-812-8230287 (Mobile)
Anggie: 62-811-967058 (Mobile)
Mallika: 62-812-1005243 (Mobile)

Also, Wahana Cargo based in Jakarta has volunteered to courier aid for free to Aceh. They will pick up cargo from donors in greater Jakarta and deliver them to Halim Perdanakusumah Airport wherefrom there are scheduled Hercules trips at various times of the day. They can be contacted at the following address:

Wahana Cargo
Jln H Sidik, 88 Rempoa,
South Jakarta.
Tel: 62-812-1131688 and 62-811-856900


It is difficult to make sense of the morbid abstracts which emerge from a tragedy so real -- millions displaced, thousands dead, hundreds missing. Soon these numbers will numb us and even a doubling of these figures wont be anything more than a mere statistic for most of us. The danger we face is in losing touch with the goodness of our hearts, for sympathy is a myopic emotion, not to mention highly treacherous. As severe as it is in the initial thrust, its grip only grows feeble with the passing of time.

Let us yield to our urgent impulses and give without restraint. Let us not allow our solidarity to fade with the shift in headlines.



38 Comments Post a Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Stephanie and I live in Northern Ireland. I am willing to help out in whatever way it is possible whether it is sorting and distrubting items out in the countries which are affected or builing shelters etc. I am willing to help in whatever way i can. Please contact me at stephanie__paul@hotmail.com

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Ilias and I live in Cyprus. I am willing to help out in whatever way it is possible, in any of the efected areas. Can sort out my flight myself. contact me at iliaslisa@hotmail.com

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am currently in Medan, Sumatra, and would like to contribute to the relief work being done in the affected areas of North Sumatra. I am having trouble finding any information on what or who to contact.
Please contact me as soon as possible.
Jeremy Thorburn

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am currently in Medan, Sumatra, and would like to contribute to the relief work being done in the affected areas of North Sumatra. I am having trouble finding any information on what or who to contact.
Please contact me as soon as possible.
Jeremy Thorburn
jeremyht@yahoo.com

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Erin Webb,i live in the UK and would like to help the relief effort out in the indian ocean. i am willing to do any work in the countries affected including clearing and rebuilding the areas that are destroyed. please contact me as soon as possible at eawukuk@yahoo.co.uk

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am a physician associate who is willing to provide direct medical care to those affected by the tsunami. I have worked in disaster relief in the past including hurrican mitch in 1998 and am well educated in treating various water born infectious diseases.
contact me at : berknliz@hotmail.com

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi there, I am a 31 yr old American musician/healing arts instructor. I am willing to travel and to help people that were harmed by the tsunami in any way.Please get a hold of me if I can physically come to help in any way. sufi86001@yahoo.com

Sincerely,
Charlie Williams Jr

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Our family has a nice stable home environment in Port Orange Florida. We are interested in hosting an older child as a foreign exchange student in America. Please contact elizabethfegley@aol.com Thank you.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am Brian Brandenburg of San Gabriel, California. I am willing to come to Indonesia at my own expense, effective immediately, to help out in any way I can. I have lived and worked in Indonesia and speak enough Bahasa to get by. Please contact me at chinahand@msn,com.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Ben said :

I am willing to do what ever kind of help is needed in Asia. I am a healthy 24 year old and will pay for the flight. email me at benluongo@yahoo.com to let me know how I can help

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi, we would like to offer our help in the areas hit by the tsunamis. I have extensive experience in food service management, have supervised large staffs and built temporary kitchens and cafeterias. I also have an udergraduate degree in health science. My boyfriend was a timber framer and would be great at building temporary shelters, etc. He has an undergraduate degree in environmental science. Please contact us as soon as possible if we can be of any help.
If anyone else has information on helping out in the areas affected please email me at Tarizzo@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Tracy and Joe

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Peter. I live in the UK. I am willing to help in anyway I can. I have served in the Royal Navy and have management experience. But I am willing to do what is needed. I can cover my own airfare. Please contact at travellingscams@hotmail.com

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am based in SA and want to do relief work, plse provide info on contact details urgently.
My email is eramraj@oldmutualpfacom

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Maria. I am willing to do anything necessary to render support in the devastated countries. Please contact me so I can book my flight and get to work. I speak Indonesian and have worked in a hospital before. maria.widmann@gmx.de

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

hello.. my name is james and i am willing to physically help in any way, i live in the uk and am able to leave anytime after the 10th.... please email me with any information on how i can help!!

ribbituk@hotmail.com

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am Colleen,a Nurse Practitioner, registered in South Africa and Australia.Because I live in Kuala LumpurI have Given my particulars to Mercy Malaysia on the 28th December but am not yet being utilized.So if any relief group out there is willing to utilize my expertise ,I am willing and packed and compitent.I can support myself financialy and can get by on my Bahasa Malayu I just wish to work WITH a recognized relief group to whom I may hold myself accountable. Contact me at colvan@tm.net.my

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am Amanda Ikert, an American in Jakarta, bisa bicara/ terjamah bahasa indonesia (can speak/ translate Indonesian) and have worked in squatter settlement upgrading which may be translatable to emergency sheltering. Willing to go to Aceh/ Sumut or work from Jakarta.
ikert@mit.edu
hpku/ cell #: (62) 852 4000 5170

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi, our name is Pennie and Siang Yong..we are currently in Malaysia and Singapore..we are also willing to help in whatever way it needs...we can fly over to the regions, which we are needed right away...just send us an email...we are ready to help!

penniecpn@mac.com

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi I am mike. A 25 yr old plumber from South Africa. i have done a basic medical aid with my qualification. I am willing to travel to where need to help with getting fresh water to various areas and with handeling the disposal of hazardous human soil matter. I am also willing to help where ever i could be useful. I am familar with working with structures that are no longer sound..

You can contact me at: Maxamillion@mweb.co.za

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

i am a professional photographer living in uk and want to help.i am willing to travel anywhere and offer my services as photographer or anything else.please contact terry harris by e-mail
terence.harris@btinternet.com

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Mocam and I am Vietnamese. I would like to help in anyway that I can and as long as needed. Sorry I can only speak Vietnamese and English.I can provide my onw transportation there. I am 24, female, healthy, and have managerment knowledge. Please contact me at mocamvu@yahoo.com. I'm ready to help!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

logistics/operations manager 1st aider man management experience good at getting things done. able to pay own expenses contact me if you need me
steverjones@blueyonder.co.uk

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am 51 yrs of age, currently unemployed, and in excellent health. I am interested in finding out if there is need of independent volunteers, or is it preferable for the relief organizations to provide the needed force of volunteers. I can be contacted at polotom@usapolo.com

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Larraine. I was a health educator with the Peace coprs and would be willing to help in any capacity. larrainelucero@hotmail.com

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is David T. Fernandes I can be contacted at dtfernandes@hotmail.com or called anytime at 781-576-9211. I am seeking to help in the relief effort in any country immediately. All I need to know is where and when to meet you.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am a Physician Assistant with experience in infectious disease, surgery and dermatology. I have eight months experience in mission work in China, as well as medical mission work in Mexico. Am willing to go to the Tsunami area for whatever length of time needed. Contact me via e-mail at velezsharon@hotmail.com

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

i am a healthy male aged 35 years and deeply moved by suffering of all affected by the Tsunami. I can do any type of work from cooking food to building temporary shelters . Can serve anywhere for around 2 months . Pls contact at ramanthakur@rediffmail.com

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Christopher Goodwin,Im 16 years old at the end of january, i would like to go where help is needed in asia, you can contact me on 01450 370300 or my mobile 07876060093 thank you

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am a healthy 23 year old male from boston who would like to help wherever volunteers are needed. i have no experience in the medical field and speak only the english language but i am very capable of helping with construction and i ma willing to pay for the flight there and back. e-mail me at frankbooth237@hotmail.com

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Jim Earle, i am a certified paramedic(pcp). I live and work in British Columbia, Canada. I am eager and willing to help with any work that is needed, i can be available in a weeks notice. Contact info:earlejames@hotmail.com
604-626-6780

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi my name is Tania from England. Myself and a few friend will be willing to come to any effected area at short notice. Please contact me at tania_nesbitt@hotmail.com

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I am willing to come out to Indonesia on my own expense to help with the relief effort. I am a graduate student, able to speak enough Bahasa Indonesia to get around in the area.
Please contact me at anycapartment@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Nicole

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi, my name is Erin Abrams and I am a student at Harvard Law School in Boston. Before law school, I worked for Save the Children for several years on women's and childrens rights, humanitarian emergencies and poverty reduction initiatives in India and Nepal. I would like to come to a tsunami affected country from Jan.21-Feb.1 on my vacation and assist in any way possible. I have legal, international human rights and program organization skills. please email me at eabrams@law.harvard.edu. Thanks.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My Name is Mark:
I am able to help in Asia in any way what so ever. I am a chef by trade and more than capable of delegating and organising were needed, I am also a professional diver if needed, plus I am more than capable of helping in the clearing and rebuilding places, as well as offering moral support to victims of the tsunami. Please get in contact with information that would get me over there to help.. Email tappy16@i12.com or phone +447717384336

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi, I'm Jackie and I live in Scotland. I am a registered nurse and willing to help out in any way that I can. I can be contacted on jackieking@hotmail.co.uk

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Hi! We are two german girls and we are in Australia at the moment !! We want to go to indonesia and help the people there!! Are there any possibilities ? Please contact us - mierilie@web.de !! Marie & Leonie

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

I would like to help in any of the affected areas. If any help is needed I can be in the area in mid-February. Also, if anyoneone knows of any volunteer sites or organizations that need people please contact me. buddharob@gmail.com

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My name is Brandi. I really want to get involved the relief efforts. I am willing to do whatever I can to help. I need more information on how i can get started. If you can please contact me at TTC520@aol.com. thank you.

2:49 AM